“I am deeply concerned about reports of destruction of homes and subsistence media in northern Darfur,” said Clementine Nkweta-Salami, UN resident and Sudan’s humanitarian coordinator. “Civilians continue to pay the price. Access to Zamzam’s camp is almost impossible, just when people need support. We need humanitarian access without impediments to provide help that saves lives. ”
Zamzam’s camp is about 15 kilometers south of the city of El Fasher, the northern capital of Darfur, which has been besieged by militia forces that have opposed to the government on cartoon now for months. It was inaugurated in 2004 to house people torn by war in the west of the country.
Last week, the UN World Food Program reported that children were already dying in camp and that thousands could starve in the coming weeks after being forced to pause the distribution of help in the midst of a good bombing.
Allies who became fans
Throughout the Sudan, the Sudanese Armed Forces of the Government (SAF) are fighting their former opponents, the militias of the Fast Support Forces (RSF), since April 15, 2023, when a planned transition to civil domain has broken.
The RSF now controls virtually the whole Darfur, but has been lying in the city of El Fasher for months, near Zamzam.
The RSF militia broke into the camp on February 11, triggering several days of clashes with army troops and allied forces, according to news reports.
On Tuesday night, in another civilian attack that were a feature of Sudan’s conflict, it is believed that dozens of Muslims were killed in the field of Abu Shouk, in northern Darfur, after an attack on a busy market, credited to the RSF.
This followed another bombing attack reported at the camp on Sunday, which left six dead.
In a related development, the Security Council He expressed serious concern with the signing of a letter by the forces of the opposition of Sudan seeking to establish a parallel government authority in Sudan.
“Members of the Security Council have pointed out that such actions are at risk of exacerbating the conflict in progress in Sudan, fragmenting the country and worsening an already terrible humanitarian situation,” said the 15 -member agency.
$ 22 million in emergency aid provided
Today, two million people in 27 places in Sudan are now hungry or on the edge of it. The Sudanese army controls the North and East regions, while the militia and its allies influence much of the Darfurs in the west and southern parts.
To help the most vulnerable civilians, UN Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher announced on Thursday that $ 22 million must be allocated to support the humanitarian aid that saves lives in Sudan.
The funds will be released from the Central Emergency Response FundLike this, CERFTo offer assistance to combat the impact of spiral conflict, hunger, disease and climate shocks.
Children’s rape horror
Earlier this week, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned that babies at the age of one year were being raped by Armed Forces.
More than 220 cases of children’s rape have been reported since early 2024, the UN agency said, citing team data helping victims of gender -based violence.
“Children as young as one who is raped by armed men should shock someone in essence and force immediate action,” he said UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell.